LGBT Democrats of North Carolina
2015 State Convention
Candidate Personal Statements
Ryan Butler, President
I’m a graduate of UNC School of the Arts and American University, Washington College of Law. Before practicing law and during my time living in Washington, DC, I worked as a television editor and producer for CNN and National Geographic Channel. I’ve also previously worked at the North Carolina General Assembly. Today, I am proud to work as in house counsel at Replacements, Ltd. I currently serve as President of the LGBT Democrats of North Carolina, and was also the first President of the LGBT Democrats of North Carolina. I also have the pleasure of serving as Vice-Chair of my local precinct. I’ve previously served as Secretary of the Guilford County Democratic Party and served in various other party positions.
Ginger Walker, Vice President
- Registered Democrat since first registering in 1971
- Elected to serve as an SEC Member for many terms and currently serving
- Regularly attends MCDP CEC, District 9 and SEC Meetings and Convention regularly
- Has supported the MCDP for 20+ years
- Active in Precinct, Poll Worker, Phone Banking, Distributing Signs to Polling locations, attended and supported Fundraisers, and many Candidate Campaigns
- Received the MCDP Chairman’s Award in 1999
- Supported NCDP for over 20+ years, long time Passport Patron
- Active member of the Democratic Women of Mecklenburg County, honored as DWMC “Star”
- Volunteer at 2012 Democratic National Convention
- Active Member of NC Mobilization ‘96 and MeckMobe/Gay “Dems” Democrats of Mecklenburg County – 1996 to formation of LGBT Democrats of Mecklenburg County
- Member of Mecklenburg Voter Coalition and served as a Driver for Free Rides to the Polls
- Involved in the formation of and chartering of the LGBT Democrats of NC. Served as the inaugural 9th District Chair and currently serving as Vice President
- Member of LGBT Democrats of Mecklenburg County and currently serving on the Advisory Board
- Actively participated in the Charlotte Non-Discrimination Ordinance Coalition, March 2015 and the Charlotte LGBT Community Candidates Forum, August 2015
- Recently honored as the LGBT Democrats of Mecklenburg County Legacy Award
- Member Charlotte LGBT Chamber of Commerce
- Supports other National and State LGBT Organizations, like the Victory Institute, HRC, Equality NC, etc.
Chad Turner, Secretary
- Registered Democrat
- Actively involved in the formation of the LGBT Democrats of Mecklenburg County, served on the Inaugural Executive Board as Vice President , later as interim Secretary and currently serving on the Advisory Board
- President of the Charlotte LGBT Chamber of Commerce since 2012 and currently serving, under his leadership the organization has achieved:
- Affiliation with the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce
- Largest LGBT Chamber in the Southeast with over 37% growth in Membership since Jan. 2014
- Established the Aspiring Professionals’ Initiative for local colleges
- Created a comprehensive training program for LGBT owned businesses.
- One of the Leaders actively involved in the Charlotte Non-Discrimination Ordinance Coalition, March 2015
- One of the Leaders actively involved in the Charlotte LGBT Community Candidates Forum, August 2015
- Passionately works with local and statewide Democrats and Democratic Candidates during elections, volunteering for numerous campaigns and DNC
- Supports other National and State LGBT Organizations, like the HRC, Equality NC, etc.
- Human Resources Consultant across a variety of industries, spending the past six years training and advising small business owners, corporations and individuals in the areas of LGBT workplace issues, diversity, inclusion and policy development.
- Holds a BA in Music from Lee University and his BS in Human Resource Management from Villanova University and is currently seeking his MBA from Columbia Southern University. In 2008, Chad was designated a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) by the Human Resources Certification Institute.
- Chad and his husband, Nate, are both small business owners and actively involved in the business, political and LGBT communities
September McCrady, Secretary
September McCrady is running for reelection to the position Secretary of LGBT Democratic Party Caucus. She is a founding member of the caucus, and is currently serving in this position. September has been involved in state wide politics for over 10 years in various elected and appointed positions, and attended Women’s Campaign School at Yale in 2011.
Pat Warren, Treasurer
Where there is a need, I want to serve. The LGBT Democrats of North Carolina needs a treasurer, so I am willing to serve in that capacity. I do not offer my services in a frivolous manner, but with the thoughtfulness and seriousness that this position deserves. I have never served as a treasurer for any organization; however, I am willing to attend the necessary training to become a top-notch treasurer.
I currently work at Piedmont Community College as Program Coordinator/Instructor, Adult Basic Skills and I teach upper level high school equivalency math and science.
Some of the positions I have held and hold:
- Caswell County Commissioner
- Chair of the Caswell County Democratic Party
- NCDP State Executive Committee
- Chair of the Caswell County Partnership for Children
- Caswell County Department of Social Services Board Member
- Piedmont Triad Council of Governments Board Member
- Caswell Co. Joint Nursing Home/Adult Care Home Community Advisory Committee
- Caswell County Recreation Committee Member
- Chair of the Caswell County Family Violence Prevention Program
However, none of these have been my most important role. I have the honor of directly and personally taking the journey with a member of LGBT community beginning on the day my child came out as lesbian in 2004 and then as a transgender man in 2015. I offer the LGBT Democrats the perspective of an ally, and am willing serve in whatever capacity I am needed.
Ben Julen, Vice President University and College Outreach
- Junior at North Carolina State University
- Former chair of the LGBT caucus of College Democrats of NC
- Former Director of Development for College Democrats of NC
- Former Finance Manager for Ervin for Supreme Court
- Intern at Nexus Strategies